COMBAT DRAGON – A-37B DRAGONFLY PHOTO SHOOT – SEPT 2009
At Bankstown airport i did a photo shoot with the Combat Dragon adventure flight warbird specialists. They operate a A-37B Dragonfly light attack jet bomber. I displayed my 1960s USAF Vietnam era flight gear for the day.
Combat Dragon is the only Sydney based A-37 flying at the moment for adventure flights or airshows appearances.
Combat Dragon operate the ex USAF/VNAF A-37 along side a recently acquired O-1 Birdog. This Birdog is a big time Vietnam flyer with over 12,000hrs of combat time and many bullet hole patches. They have been building up the A-37 operations as a side business to their main charter business which is focused on taking people around Australia and Pacific ocean countries.
Standard USAF late 1960s flying gear was displayed –
- HGU-2AP helmet dated 1968 with a MBU-5P oxygen mask dated 1969.
- 1970 Nomex flight suit vietnam era
- SRU-21/P survivial vest (with actual 1960s era vietnam survival map inside from my vietnam F4 pilot mate)
- LPU-2P life preserver
- Standard flight boots
- A standard USAF parachute backpack style BA-series
- CSU-3/P g-suit large size
- Nomex flying gloves
- 1970 flight helmet bag
I much appreciated this chance to shoot the aircraft up close and thanks go to –
- Daniel Gray, Pilot – A37B and photographer for the day.
- Jeffrey Criddle, General Manager – AAS and Combat Dragon.
- Stuart Criddle, Chief pilot – A37B
Combat Dragon can be found at www.combatdragon.com.au – contact them via their webpage for any details you would like regarding an adventure flight.
See below a walk around of A-37 to prep it for a “flight” and then inside with me in the cockpit.
Also shown is the O-1 and the great team that makes up Combat Dragon the staff.
The O-1 is shown below along with the Combat Dragon staff who were very kind and helpful today for my photo shoot.